Friday 29 November 2013

Gudeg

We went to this Gudeg place on the second evening for dinner.
Sat down to the combo menu listing among others, ayam kapala (that is chicken head for you) and krecek (and that is dried cow or buffalo skin cooked in spicy sauce)
I double checked with the Indonesian student if kapala is actually the neck (we Malaysian and Indonesian speak mutually intelligible language to some extent), but no, kapala is kapala, the head.
Well, I love chicken feet but chicken head?what if the eyes are still open and are looking my way?
So I settled for a combo of rice+gudeg+thigh+krecek
premise 1 : gudeg (and the chicken) are cooked for hours in palm sugar and coconut milk
premise 2 : them people in Jogjakarta has been known to be sweet tooth bunch
conclusion : thanks Allah for the spicy krecek. I am no sweet tooth person. I downed 2 drinks to wash off the sweetness. Well, at least I have tried the food icon of Jogja.

I was told gudeg is essentially jackfruit, so I was confused throughout my dinner trying to find the jackfruit *silly*

try to find the jackfruit
credit : Chris
On another note, when I was paying, I notice the lady is cutting up the banana leaves. Loads of them. I never appreciate the luxury of eating on a banana leaf until I found out it cost a thumb here in Czech.

No comments:

Post a Comment