Tuesday 17 September 2013

The Tale of Sohoor

Sohoor or sahur or soq is the predawn meal during Ramadhan.
During Gamacoaster, I had most of it with Hadeer.

Tale 1
I had the room all to myself. Rika will come on the third day.
Hadeer said to go down with her at 3am.
Too early. I want to go at 4am. So we will go separately.
We didn't go separately. Well, it was I who did not go at all. I didn't hear my alarm goes off. and to think that I had Imperial March as my alarm.

Tale 2
Rika is my roommate. She is Japanese. But she is the one who heard my Imperial March alarm goes off at the wee hour of morning and woke me up for sohoor. Every single morning at the hotel.  Well, almost. Hahaha. And yes, I woke up at 3 to have sohoor with Hadeer. and I always finishes my meal at 4am.

Tale 3
We were camping at the youth center. It was after the simulation. The mood, shall I say, is rather cloudy. My fellow participants went back to sleep. Hadeer was excused from fasting and I didn't know if they prepare something for me for sohoor and I have a measly amount of 1000 rupiah/RM0.30 , the last note that I have with me, enough to buy a milkshake. And kind Timothy gave me 10 000 rupiahs, so nice of him. sobs. It was half past 2 am. and someway, somehow, there I was with my sahoor box. It has been a long time since I feel so lonely. I went to the warung, sat next to the only guy from the organizing team that was around and whose name I dont even know and never even spoke to and quietly finishing my meal with a cup of thankfully hot milo that he helped me order. It was cold and dewy. There was me, the guy, the pak cik warung in his sweater waiting for his food to cook so that he can eat with his wife and urm, the neverending echoes of "sahuuuuuurrrrr!!! sahuuuuuuurrrrr!!!" that breaks the silence of the setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment