Wednesday 29 January 2014

Fruit

Part of my childhood was filled with waiting with cousins under the mangosteen tree for my older cousins to drop the mangosteen (or the empty shells) down, or eating young mangoes dipped into the super hot dip, or slurping fresh young coconuts on the beach or chomping down rambutan. oh yeah and feasted on durian with my family. That's the most tropical we can get on Penang island.

But Jogjakarta is wonderful. wonderful I tell you.
they sell salak (english name is snakefruit) by the roadside. and them people bought the fruit so we all get to taste it. yums!
err, excuse her, u dont eat salak with its skin. hihi. credit : organizer
and they have free flow guava juice anddddddd soursop juice. soursop. this one fruit is very hard to grow from where I come from.
soursop. credit : Mr Google
and whenever I drop by the supermarket when I was in Jogja, I wish I could spend more time ogling the produce section and the juice section. Jakun mannnnn.
Who wouldn't be when the fresh produce sells melons, papaya, guavas, machang or whatever it name is (it's the sibling of mangoes) and maaaany moore tropical fruits at a fraction of the price that I can get in Europe or in Penang even.
I am in heaven I tell you. in heaven, until I realise I have no chopping board nor knife.
so I proceed to sway away in front of the chilled racks. rows and rows and rows of fruit juice - pink guava, white guava, mangoes, litchi, soursop... and yes, nata de coco. since I cant eat much during farewell dinner due to the kebaya (never wearing that to dinner again!) and everyone is busy taking photos and dancing, I went to fish almost all the nata de coco in the fruit cocktail bowl and savoured it in.
Imagine eating nata de coco and watching flamenco. in warm Indonesian evening someomore. credit : Vini Chumaira

nata de coco, tu me manques!

No comments:

Post a Comment